NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Yahoo! (YHOO) was one of the big pre-market gainers on Tuesday, rising 1.31% to $15.85 as investors welcomed the appointment of Google (GOOG) executive Marissa Mayer as the company's new CEO.
The surprise news came after market close on Monday, making Mayer Yahoo!'s third CEO in 12 months. Interim CEO Ross Levinsohn, who was hotly tipped to clinch the top job, took the company's reins from Scott Thompson in May. Thompson, who exited the company amidst a furore over his educational credentials, was appointed CEO in January. His predecessor, Carol Bartz, was ousted last September.
Mayer, who was employee no. 20 at Google, has served in a number of roles at the search giant, most recently overseeing the company's Location, Maps and Local services.
Investors will be closely monitoring Yahoo!'s second-quarter results after market close on Tuesday for any hints about the new CEO's strategy for the company.Yahoo! was also one of the most active pre-market Nasdaq stocks on Tuesday on share volume of 408,699. Google shares crept up 0.52% to $577.9 before market open on Tuesday. Intel (INTC), which also reports its second-quarter results after market close, rose 0.36% to $25.22 on Tuesday. Facebook (FB) was another gainer on Tuesday, rising 0.9% to $28.50 on Nasdaq share volume of 216,254. TheStreet will be live-blogging Yahoo!'s earnings, starting at 3.45PM ET on Tuesday: --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV