J.B. Hunt Transport Services, Inc., (NASDAQ:JBHT) announced second quarter 2012 net earnings of $80.5 million, or diluted earnings per share of 67 cents vs. second quarter 2011 net earnings of $65.7 million, or 53 cents per diluted share.
Total operating revenue for the current quarter was $1.26 billion, compared with $1.15 billion for the second quarter 2011. Load growth of 13% in Intermodal (JBI) and 16% in Integrated Capacity Solutions (ICS), helped drive a 13% and 23% increase in segment revenue, respectively. Dedicated Contract Services (DCS) segment revenue increased by 1% while Truck (JBT) segment revenue decreased by 3%. Current quarter total operating revenue, excluding fuel surcharges, also increased 9% vs. the comparable quarter 2011.
Operating income for the current quarter totaled $137 million vs. $113 million for the second quarter 2011. Operating income increases from steady demand and higher volumes in JBI and ICS and lower fuel costs in DCS and JBT were partially offset by increases in rail and truck purchase transportation costs, driver wages, toll road charges, maintenance costs and safety costs compared to the same period a year ago.
Interest expense in the current quarter increased slightly due to increased debt levels. The effective income tax rate for the quarter was 38.25% vs. 38.5% in 2011.Segment Information: Intermodal (JBI)
- Second Quarter 2012 Segment Revenue: $762 million; up 13%
- Second Quarter 2012 Operating Income: $93.4 million; up 22%
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV