J.B. Hunt Transport Services, Inc., (NASDAQ:JBHT) announced second quarter 2012 net earnings of $80.5 million, or diluted earnings per share of 67 cents vs. second quarter 2011 net earnings of $65.7 million, or 53 cents per diluted share.
Total operating revenue for the current quarter was $1.26 billion, compared with $1.15 billion for the second quarter 2011. Load growth of 13% in Intermodal (JBI) and 16% in Integrated Capacity Solutions (ICS), helped drive a 13% and 23% increase in segment revenue, respectively. Dedicated Contract Services (DCS) segment revenue increased by 1% while Truck (JBT) segment revenue decreased by 3%. Current quarter total operating revenue, excluding fuel surcharges, also increased 9% vs. the comparable quarter 2011.
Operating income for the current quarter totaled $137 million vs. $113 million for the second quarter 2011. Operating income increases from steady demand and higher volumes in JBI and ICS and lower fuel costs in DCS and JBT were partially offset by increases in rail and truck purchase transportation costs, driver wages, toll road charges, maintenance costs and safety costs compared to the same period a year ago.
Interest expense in the current quarter increased slightly due to increased debt levels. The effective income tax rate for the quarter was 38.25% vs. 38.5% in 2011.Segment Information: Intermodal (JBI)
- Second Quarter 2012 Segment Revenue: $762 million; up 13%
- Second Quarter 2012 Operating Income: $93.4 million; up 22%
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV