"Whilst we are still seeing new entrants opening physical branches, our research highlights that most developed markets across America and Europe are 'over-banked'. We predict that as a result of 'right-sizing' and embracing technology, 50% of retail branches in these developed markets will be obsolete in their current format by 2020.
Excess branch networks won't disappear overnight, but the trend will be one of a steady run-off as property leases expire. The challenge in this truly multi-channel world will be for global retail banks to actively manage their existing property portfolio and then to identify the right locations to maintain a presence or take new space. We will see far more emphasis on right place, right space and right price."
In North America, these trends carry the potential to help banks build customer engagement, said Stuart Hicks, President, Banking Industry Group, Jones Lang LaSalle:
"Banks are using a retail branch real estate strategy to make every consumer visit more meaningful than ever before," said Hicks. "Leading banks are leveraging emerging technologies, physical branch improvements and sophisticated customer relationship management to ensure that while the overall number of North American branches may be declining, each branch visit builds trust and customer engagement. Each branch is becoming better equipped to sell a wider array of integrated products and services, and thus improve profits as well as customer satisfaction."SOURCE Jones Lang LaSalle
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV