Applied Materials (AMAT), on the other hand, hasn't been showing quite as much relative strength recently. The $13 billion semiconductor manufacturing equipment maker lowered its 2012 outlook last week, sending shares down around 5% in the past five trading days -- but with disappointment priced into shares this week, now could be a good time to buy AMAT.
Applied makes the tools that microchip manufacturers use to make chips. As the industry leader, the firm's tools are used by more chipmakers than any others. That's a big advantage, especially when its fabrication tools save enough cost to justify factory upgrades. The firm's big investments in the solar business have made it a big player there too, but with one big problem: Both chipmaking and solar are cyclical businesses. That means that when it rains, it pours for AMAT.Still, the firm is the biggest player in the industry, and it's got a deep and well established economic moat. That means that once the semiconductor waiting game is over, AMAT should be able to deliver impressive numbers once again. Shares are currently nearing support at $10. A bounce off of that level may well be in order this week.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV