July 16, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Morningstar, Inc. (NASDAQ: MORN), a leading provider of independent investment research, today reported estimated U.S.
mutual fund asset flows through
June 2012. Long-term mutual funds recorded their lowest monthly intake year to date with just
$10.8 billion in new money, and money market funds saw outflows of
$30.1 billion after tepid May inflows of
Additional highlights from Morningstar's report on mutual fund flows:
- Investors seem to have renewed their faith in municipal-bond funds and are increasingly comfortable taking on risk in search of yield. High-yield muni bond funds took in $6.7 billion through June, as the category's median return was 6.7% in the first half of the year.
- The balanced asset class, which includes primarily allocation funds, saw redemptions of $890 million in June, its first month of outflows in 2012. Some of the world-allocation category's most prominent offerings suffered outflows; BlackRock Global Allocation, IVA Worldwide, and Ivy Asset Strategy lost $460 million, $232 million, and $171 million, respectively.
- Taxable-bond funds saw inflows increase by more than $3.2 billion over last month to $10.9 billion. U.S.-stock funds remained in familiar territory with outflows of $8.5 billion, while international-stock funds, driven by inflows to diversified emerging-markets funds, collected $4.8 billion.
- DoubleLine Total Return Bond led all funds in June with inflows of $2.1 billion. It leads all funds over the trailing 12 months, too, with $18.1 billion in new assets.
To view the complete report, please visit http://www.global.morningstar.com/juneflows12. To view a video recapping June's U.S. fund flow trends, please visit http://bit.ly/juneflows. For more information about Morningstar Asset Flows, please visit http://global.morningstar.com/assetflows.
The information contained herein: (1) is proprietary to Morningstar and/or its content providers; (2) may not be copied or distributed; and (3) is not warranted to be accurate, complete, or timely. Neither Morningstar nor its content providers are responsible for any damages or losses arising from any use of this information. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV