The decrease in net interest and dividend income was largely due to a planned reduction in the size of the Bank's balance sheet. In Q2-12, total average interest-earning assets decreased by $191 million from Q2-11, reflecting a $128 million decrease in average loans and a $63 million decrease in average securities and overnight investments. At the same time, average deposits and borrowed funds decreased by $142 million and $12 million, respectively, while average stockholders' equity increased by $13 million. The net interest margin was nearly unchanged as a $37 million decrease in net average interest-earning assets (due to a higher level of cash on hand) was offset by a slight increase in the interest rate spread. The spread improved by 4 basis points due to the steady reduction in rates paid on deposits and run off of higher-cost CDs and borrowings, largely offset by payoffs of higher yielding loans and calls of security investments, coupled with the re-investment of a large portion of these cash inflows in new loans and securities at lower market interest rates. Overall, the average cost of funds decreased by 46 basis points to 2.46% in Q2-12, from 2.92% in Q2-11, while the average yield on earning assets decreased at a slower pace by 42 basis points to 4.52% in Q2-12, from 4.94% in Q2-11.
Net earnings for 6mths-12 increased by $0.9 million over 6mths-11 due to the following: a $2.1 million decrease in the total provision for loan and real estate losses; a $1.2 million increase in noninterest income; and a $0.2 million decrease in operating expenses, partially offset by a $1.6 million decrease in net interest and dividend income and a $1.0 million increase in income tax expense. The reasons for these changes were essentially the same as the factors that caused the quarterly variances.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV