We expect the company to show solid revenue growth on year-over-year as well as quarter-over-quarter basis as the first quarter is generally the cyclical low for financial results.
We expect Big Data analytics and cloud computing services will continue to drive revenue growth this quarter. IBM's Sequoia, the world's fastest supercomputer, is also expected to help the company sell its Big Data solutions.
The expertise acquired by IBM in implementing low power data centers with high computing capabilities based on Project Blue Gene is likely to drive its cloud and analytics businesses. (See our
IBM reported flat earnings growth for the first three months of 2012, but registered a 7% increase in net income thanks to strong profit margins in the services business. We expect revenue growth to be relatively strong in the second quarter and the margins will be helped by the services business. The company earned $3.07 billion in the first quarter, up from $2.86 billion the same period last year. Revenue was flat at $24.7 billion, and this is mainly due to a shift in focus from hardware to software and services, which has led to a decline in IBM's hardware and financing sections. A macro factor adding to this slowdown is lower IT spending due to the eurozone crisis. Focus On Cloud and Analytics To Help Margins The company is making some big moves in cloud computing and analytics. It has set up the world's fastest supercomputer, Sequoia, and has proved its Big Data analytics mettle with Santam, a leading insurance company in South Africa, which has saved as much as $2.4 million on fraudulent claims in the first four months of using IBM business analytics. We expect these businesses to drive growth in the second quarter and have a direct impact on IBM's Technology Services division, which constitutes ~23% of the company's stock, by our analysis. We currently have a
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV