Merck (NYSE: MRK), known as MSD outside the United States and Canada, announced today presentations at the upcoming Alzheimer’s Association International Conference (AAIC) being held in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada on July 14-19, 2012. At the conference, Merck scientists are scheduled to present results from multiple preclinical and clinical studies investigating the safety and efficacy of β-amyloid precursor protein site cleaving enzyme (BACE) inhibitors, including MK-8931, the company's lead compound currently being investigated as a potential treatment for Alzheimer's disease.
“The prevalence of Alzheimer's disease is growing rapidly due to the aging population, creating an unsustainable burden on patients, caregivers and the economy,” said Darryle D. Schoepp, Ph.D., senior vice president and head of Neuroscience and Ophthalmology franchise, Merck Research Laboratories. “Merck is committed to discovering and developing novel medicines to treat neurodegenerative brain diseases, such as Alzheimer’s and dementia, and is focused on rapidly advancing its BACE inhibitor program.”
Select Merck presentations at AAIC include:
July 15, 2012
- P1-221: Safety and pharmacokinetics of the novel BACE inhibitor MK-8931 in healthy subjects following single and multiple dose administration.
- P1-225: A study to evaluate the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of single and multiple oral doses of the novel BACE inhibitor MK-8931 in Japanese subjects.
- P1-229: Population pharmacokinetic modeling of the novel BACE inhibitor MK-8931 following single and multiple dose administration in healthy subjects.
- P4-196: The novel BACE inhibitor MK-8931 dramatically lowers CSF Abeta peptides in healthy subjects following single and multiple dose administration.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts