NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Consider that an exchange-traded fund, Healthcare iShares (IYH), that tracks the health-care sector is currently up 9.5% year-to date. With the passing of the Affordable Healthcare Act (only time will tell if it is affordable or not) there will be a lot more customers in the health-care system.
Here is a current chart of this ETF:
In addition to this red-hot sector, the REIT sector is also under heavy accumulation. Investors who are not happy with a 10-year Treasury yield of 1.5% and CDs that are currently paying next to nothing are venturing out and seeking yield.
Last year, it was the high-paying large-caps that benefited from this feeding frenzy. This year, one of biggest beneficiary of investors seeking yield is the REIT stocks. I wrote about three such stocks back in early May
Now, what if we can find a stock that combines both the health-care sector and the REIT sector into one nice package, and offers a healthy dividend yield of 5%? Well, let's give it a shot...
The name of the stock is Health Care REIT (HCN). Wow, that's a good start! All the right names are present. Headquartered in Toledo, Ohio, the company invests in health-care and senior housing facilities in 46 states. Market capitalization is a very respectable $12.8 billion and the stock, in my opinion, is suitable for investors seeking income first and capital appreciation second I just love a little growth along with my dividends! I hate investments that just pay income and have never delivered any capital appreciation. Let's take a peek at the average total returns of this stock over the years:
Very nice! Who would not have been happy with a 15.1% average total return over the last 10 years? The stock has delivered some very nice capital appreciation along with those dividends. That's like getting a nice big, fat kosher dill pickle along with your corned beef sandwich. Maybe a little coleslaw, too.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV