By David A. Banister
NEW YORK ( TheMarketTrendForecast.com) -- Gold has remained in a rough 1,550-to-1,640 range for several weeks now. Friday night, we look at the SPDR Gold Trust ETF (GLD), which represents the Gold spot-price movements. Over the past five months, we can see in the chart below the clear downtrend lines.
In the past six weeks we have seen a series of three higher lows, including today, where a lower gap filled in and gold reversed upwards.
What gold needs to do, in terms of this GLD ETF, is clear the 158 hurdle on a closing basis to set up a stage for a new advance. I would expect in the intervening months to October for gold to continuing meandering and correcting to as low as 1,445 to 1,455 -- the gold worst-case low targets I've had since last September.Near-term key levels are 150 on the downside and 158 on the upside. If we close below 150 on GLD ETF, then we should be looking for my 1,445 to 1,455 areas to be hit this summer before a low. If we clear 158 on the GLD ETF, the triple bottom at 1,520 is likely confirmed and we can start tracking some upside.
This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV