Hed 5 Free Cash flow Powerhouses NEW YORK ( Stockpickr) -- So many investors focus on earnings per share or EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, deductions and amortization) as a key measure of a company's profitability. But it's an open secret that these numbers can be fudged by accountants that are looking to "meet their number." Besides, those profits may not mean much if a company has little left over after paying for capital spending.
That's why it pays to look at free cash flow, which is operating cash flow minus capital expenditures. Positive free cash flow means real money is coming in the door, fattening up the balance sheet in the process.
Yet in the current tough market environment, even companies with a track record of consistent solid FCF are being shunned. That provides investors with the rare chance to snap up these stocks while they are sporting FCF yields (free cash flow divided by enterprise value) in excess of 10%.With that in mind, here's a look at five FCF bargains. >>ACTIVE STOCK TRADERS: Check out Stockpickr's special offer for Real Money, headlined by Jim Cramer, now!
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV