MetLife Meets Estimates as Earnings Jump 26%
Updated from 11:54 a.m. EST
MetLife (MET), the insurance giant, said Tuesday that it hit Wall Street's profit target in the latest quarter, recording a 26% increase in its third-quarter operating earnings while posting solid gains in income from investments and life insurance.
MetLife reported operating earnings of $384 million, or 49 cents a share, in the quarter ended Sept. 30, compared with pro forma earnings of $305 million, or 39 cents a share, a year earlier. Analysts had anticipated earnings of 49 cents a share in the latest quarter, according to First Call/Thomson Financial, a research firm.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV