5 Great Cities for Gen Y'ers
This community some 70 miles east of Atlanta is home to the 34,700-student University of Georgia, which provides Gen Y-friendly nightlife and cultural activities.
R.E.M. and the B-52s got their starts in Athens, and Rolling Stone magazine dubbed the 115,000-population city's clubs the "No. 1 College Music Scene" in 2003."The music scene in Athens is surprisingly hot," Reynolds says. She adds that the university provides young adults with lots of continuing-education and spectator-sports opportunities, while Athens also hosts the Sandy Creek Nature Center and other outdoor sites.
Gen Y'ers will also appreciate Athens' low 6.5% jobless rate, $804-a-month average rent and $174,900 median home price. Realtor.com lists some 1,200 properties for sale there. Prices range from $18,900 for a bank-owned two-bedroom condo to $3.5 million for an 11-acre estate.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV