D&B (NYSE: DNB), the world’s leading source of commercial information and insight on businesses, today announced the results of its first mid-year global outlook, a comprehensive study based on an analysis of its proprietary business data. D&B’s mid-year review indicates a challenging second half to the year, but an overall climate of improving U.S. and global business health. The global outlook report is part of D&B’s quarterly index series, which examines the impact of macroeconomic trends on global business.
“As we look over the first half of the year, a double-dip recession remains concerning, but D&B’s data indicates that we will not have a repeat of 2008,” said Paul Ballew, chief economist, D&B. “That is not to say that there aren’t challenges and risks ahead, but the past five years have seen a period of restructuring for many sectors. In general, companies are leaner and more flexible, which will help to bolster the economic recovery we anticipate later in the decade.”
D&B Midyear Report Highlights
- U.S. and global economic growth projected to remain subdued and uneven. Growth in the U.S. is expected to be just over two percent, while growth in China is predicted to be slightly more than seven percent due to China’s aggressive economic stimulus program.
- The Euro Zone will continue to stumble. The outlook for Europe remains troubling with the probability of a partial dissolution of the Euro. Although the efforts of the European Central Bank, International Monetary Fund and European Financial Stability Facility make dissolution in 2012 seem unlikely, the fundamental flaws in the design of the Euro indicate that dissolution is probable in the future.
- Economic imbalances weigh down growth. In developed markets, long- and short-term fiscal policy issues remain challenges that can potentially derail the recovery while also inhibiting growth over the next ten years. In developing markets, the near term issue of excesses in key sectors (property in China for instance) complicates any efforts to implement a stimulus package.
- U.S. Business Health Improves While the economic recovery remains sluggish, other indicators show that U.S. and global business health continues to improve overall. Strong evidence supports that non-financial institutions are in a better position to weather an economic storm than they were in 2008. And, small businesses continue to show improved performance, while key sectors like manufacturing are at pre-recession lows for bankruptcies and delinquencies.
D&B distributes monthly reports and indexes that provide perspective about the impact of macroeconomic trends on global business. Currently, D&B leverages its quality, global business data to provide insights on small business, country risk, and industry. To view the mid-year economic report, please visit http://www.dnb.com/whitepapers/16799725-1.html.About Dun & Bradstreet® (D&B) Dun & Bradstreet (NYSE:DNB) is the world's leading source of commercial information and insight on businesses, enabling companies to Decide with Confidence® for 171 years. D&B's global commercial database contains more than 205 million business records. The database is enhanced by D&B's proprietary DUNSRight® Quality Process, which provides our customers with quality business information. This quality information is the foundation of our global solutions that customers rely on to make critical business decisions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV