Birks & Mayors Inc. Reports First Quarter Fiscal 2013 Sales Results
Birks & Mayors Inc. (NYSE MKT: BMJ) (the “Company”) announced today that net sales during the 13 weeks ended June 30, 2012 were $68.8 million, representing a decrease of $2.4 million, or 3%, compared to net sales of $71.2 million during the first quarter of fiscal 2012. Comparable store sales increased 3% during the same period (comparable store sales include stores open in the same period in both the current and prior year and are expressed at a constant exchange rate). The net decrease in sales of $2.4 million was primarily driven by operating ten less stores than in the prior year period (seven retail stores and three temporary retail outlet stores) and $1.7 million of lower sales related to translating the Company’s Canadian sales into U.S. dollars due to the weaker Canadian dollar, partially offset by the 3% increase in comparable store sales. The comparable store sales increase reflects a 7% increase in sales from the stores in Canada while comparable store sales in the U.S. decreased by 2%.
About Birks & Mayors Inc.
Birks & Mayors is a leading operator of luxury jewelry stores in the United States and Canada. As of June 30, 2012, the Company operated 30 stores (Birks Brand) across most major metropolitan markets in Canada, 2 retail locations in Calgary and Vancouver under the Brinkhaus brand, 24 stores (Mayors Brand) across Florida and Georgia and 1 store under the Rolex brand name. Birks was founded in 1879 and developed over the years into Canada’s premier retailer, designer and manufacturer of fine jewelry, timepieces, sterling and plated silverware and gifts. Mayors was founded in 1910 and has maintained the intimacy of a family-owned boutique while becoming renowned for its fine jewelry, timepieces, giftware and service. Additional information can be found on Birks & Mayors web site, www.birksandmayors.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV