Avery Dennison announced today that the University of Michigan’s solar car, Quantum will be wrapped with Avery Dennison’s popular vehicle wrap films when it competes in the 2012 American Solar Car Challenge. Avery Dennison MPI 1005 Supercast Easy Apply RS™ and DOL 1360 were installed on Quantum by TKO Graphix of Indianapolis, Indiana.
“The wrap is an important improvement to the car. We eliminated a significant amount of weight with the wrap. The vinyl conforms very well to the compound curves of Quantum’s body – and looks just like paint,” said Cole Witte, engineering director for University of Michigan solar car. “We focused on streamlining Quantum over the last two years and shaved off 200 pounds compared to our previous car.”
This year, Quantum is lighter than its competitors’ cars that use paint instead of vehicle wraps. Traditional paint weighs about 9 pounds while the Avery Dennison MPI 1005 Supercast Easy Apply RS and DOL 1360 wrap materials weigh between 8 ounces and 1 pound. The reduced weight gives the University of Michigan solar team a distinct advantage as Quantum makes its way through the 8-state, 1,650 mile course. The race begins on July 14 in Rochester, NY and ends eight days later in St. Paul, MN.
“Avery Dennison graphics films create a great look and serve as an innovative way to reduce weight for the team to succeed in the race as well as showcase Quantum’s sponsors,” said Kathleen Hall, vice president and general manager, Avery Dennison Graphics and Reflective Solutions, Americas. “The opportunity to support America’s most successful solar car team and the engineering, innovation and dedication of the student-led University of Michigan group is an honor.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV