Family Dollar (FDO):
It could be a rough session for Family Dollar shares after Bank of America Merrill Lynch lowered its rating on the stock to underperform and dropped its 12-month price target to $60 from $71, citing rising concerns about the off-price retailer's strategy and execution abilities.
"Given the performance that the stock has had (+22% in the last 4M), expectations are very high ... but execution risk is even higher, in our view," the firm said. "While we remain very positive on the dollar store subsector, we continue to prefer Dollar General (DG), which we believe will be the long-term beneficiary in retail."
B of A thinks the company could disappoint in its fiscal fourth quarter ending in August."We expect margins to fall faster than comps can accelerate, causing earnings growth to lag and capping further valuation multiple expansion," the firm said. "In particular, our scenario analysis on the impact of tobacco sales suggests significant margin erosion. For every 5% of transactions which include tobacco, we estimate the blended GP could decline by ~50bp." -- Written by Michael Baron in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Michael Baron.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV