By James Brumley
NEW YORK ( StreetAuthority) -- After being in the investment business for longer than I care to admit, surviving two nasty bear markets, experiencing the advent of the Internet, seeing more corporate scandals than I care to remember and more, I've decided there are only two basic kinds investment mistakes -- taking on too much risk, and not taking on enough risk.
The latter may be more prevalent than you'd believe.
Granted, you start a portfolio with conservative holdings. If you've got that piece of your allocation in place, though, and now have some extra cash to take on more risk in search of bigger rewards, here are three aggressive stocks that could offer outsized gains.1. Franklin Electric (FELE) Investors who have never heard of Franklin Electric might assume it's a utility company. Franklin actually makes electrical equipment -- groundwater and fuel pumping systems to be exact. It's far from being a riveting business, but what it lacks in pizzazz it makes up for in reliable growth. Why now: There are a couple of different good reasons to own Franklin Electric right now, not the least of which are growing sales and profits. You just have to take a big step back and look at the bigger picture to see the growth potential for this stock. Last year's top line of $821 million and bottom line of $63.1 million are both record-breakers for the company. Earnings are projected to swell by 14% this year after last year's 61% improvement. Boring or not, that's impressive growth many corporations envy. Investors can still count on earnings volatility going forward, but the results are impressive for those who can commit for a year or more. The other reason investors may want to consider stepping into Franklin Electric now is a little less sophisticated: Shares are in a long-term uptrend and the well-paced rally shows no signs of stopping.
2. Darden Restaurants (DRI) You may know this company better as Red Lobster or The Olive Garden -- a couple of cliché casual-dining chains that are occasionally the butt of restaurant jokes. Those taking jabs at the company, however, may also want to realize the company is laughing, too -- all the way to the bank.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV