CHICAGO, July 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Rexam, a leading global consumer packaging company, has today launched its first Sustainability Report, which has been awarded a grade A application level from the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), the most comprehensive sustainability reporting guidelines currently available.
"We are extremely proud of our achievements over the past 20 years," said Graham Chipchase, Chief Executive, Rexam PLC. "Rexam has a vital role in the packaging supply chain and it is due to the hard work and collaboration with our key stakeholders that we can celebrate our reported achievements today. We believe that running our business sustainably effectively supports our customers and is essential to near term success and long term prosperity."
Over the past two decades, as a company, and through its partnerships, Rexam has achieved a number of key milestones:
- Light-weighting programs have resulted in can weight reductions of 21 percent since 1992, and continue to generate year-on-year metal savings (10,000 metric tons in 2011).
- Of the 60 billion cans Rexam produces annually, around 70 percent will be recycled in 2012.
- In 2011 alone, CO2 savings through energy efficiency programs saved the equivalent of running two of Rexam's factories for a year.
- A further improved safety record with 70 percent of sites not recording a lost time incident in 2011, and a track record in Lost Time Accident rates that is one of the best in the industry.
- In Healthcare, Rexam recently launched Novelia™, a preservative-free, multi-dose eyedropper, significantly reducing the amount of plastic required and drug wastage by 90 percent.