CA Technologies (NASDAQ: CA) announced its commitment to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 35 percent by 2020, from a 2006 baseline, in its new Sustainability Report released today titled “Moving Together.” The report highlights the company’s advances in sustainability over the past year, and profiles its commitment to people (employees and community), the planet and profit goals. The full report and summary can be downloaded here.
“We’ve made sustainability one of the core principles of the company, highly visible and encouraged throughout the enterprise,” said Cynthia Curtis, chief sustainability officer, CA Technologies. “This is evidenced in our commitment to further reduce greenhouse gas emissions, which we intend to accomplish through a combination of increased use of renewable energy, efficiency gains in our facilities, and leveraging new and emerging technologies.”
“We’ve seen increasing numbers of CA Technologies employees help define and implement sustainability solutions. Additionally, our own operations demonstrate that sustainability is just good business. By actively pursuing strategies that reduce energy use and waste, we also are cutting costs at CA Technologies offices around the world,” said Phillip Harrington, executive vice president and chief administrative officer.
PEOPLE: The company increased internal and external stakeholder engagement, and increased its focus on diversity and inclusion, including a new emphasis on addressing the needs of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) employees.PLANET: The company introduced Green Teams — employee-led volunteer groups that educate and encourage environmentally friendly behaviors — which saw broad adoption across the globe. It also improved operational efficiency by eliminating 28,000 square feet of real estate and the associated energy consumption needed for cooling, power and other facilities costs. Additionally, by helping to lead the IT industry’s shift from physical to virtual to cloud, the Company will enable companies to reduce carbon emissions while increasing efficiency and lowering costs. PROFIT: The company leveraged sustainability opportunities that benefited the top and bottom line. CA ecoDesktop was recently introduced as a solution for PC power management to reduce energy use by end-point devices. This complements other Energy and Sustainability products from CA Technologies which help customers improve energy and environmental reporting, supply chain and program management, as well as increase data center efficiency through data center infrastructure management. Highlights of the CA Technologies Sustainability Report included:
- Improved operations which resulted in a carbon footprint reduction of 25 percent since 2006;
- Utilized virtualization and cloud technologies in R&D Labs for improved use of energy and real estate, thereby eliminating 5,000 square feet of data center floor space, cutting greenhouse gas emissions by approximately 230 metric tons and saving 366 MWh;
- Distributed reusable mugs and cups to North American locations over the course of five months which prevented 517,420 styrofoam cups from going to landfills and lowered landfill waste by more than a ton;
- Leveraged its CA ecoSoftware solution to track, monitor and report on energy consumption, GHG emissions, waste and water;
- Eliminated nearly all product packaging and shipping. Now, the company reaches an 85 to 90 percent electronic distribution rate;
- Introduced a travel policy that encourages the use of hybrid vehicles, ride sharing and video conferencing;
- Constructed a new executive briefing center in Manhattan to LEED-CI requirements;
- Adopted a green lease policy with nearly 300,000 square feet of rented office space;
- Launched 16 Green Teams at locations that represent more than 50 percent of the employee base worldwide; and
- Received external assurance by KPMG of its GHG emissions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV