Survey Highlights - Retirement Intentions
- 32 percent plan to retire in less than five years
- 49 percent of respondents' expected age of retirement has not changed
- 10 percent of respondents expect to retire at a younger age than originally anticipated
- 27 percent believe they will be financially prepared to retire in less than 5 years
- Only 12 percent of those who are delaying retirement say that selling their home and/or the value of their home is barrier to retirement
Staying Close to HomeFor today's 80 million Boomers, the choices vary on where to spend their retirement years. Some consumers surveyed choose to stay in place in the city where they currently live; whereas others move to seek warmer climates, such as Arizona, the Carolinas and Florida.
In a significant shift, 62 percent of survey respondents think their home in retirement will be within the same state they currently live. This represents nearly a 20 percent increase compared to just two years ago when Del Webb asked the same question in the 2010 Del Webb Baby Boomer Survey.
"In looking at our previous studies, we found that there's a group who do not want to leave their family, friends and all the familiar surroundings," Meyer said. "That's why Del Webb established more communities outside the Sun Belt states and into four-season locations, such as Chicago, Detroit and the Northeastern states.""Another key trend we've seen is the desire to continue to work. To better accommodate the work and play needs of Baby Boomers, Del Webb has opened communities near large metropolitan cities and employment corridors, better allowing customers to stay in place and continue to work," Meyer said. "With more than 50 percent of our Del Webb residents working part-time, starting new businesses or new careers, it's not surprising that they want to stay connected to their current community, but still take advantage of the active lifestyle at a Del Webb community." Survey Highlights – Retirement Home Locations
- 43 percent plan to retire in the same city where they currently live; 19 percent plan to retire within the same state, but a different city
- 35 percent plan to retire in a different state from where they currently live
- 53 percent will not take into account the proximity of their children/grandchildren when deciding where to live in retirement
- 32 percent want to live within 20 miles of their children/grandchildren upon retirement
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV