NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- As we are now approaching the peak periods of vacation season, I have begun to look at my investment portfolio for inspiration. While that can mean a lot of things -- not the least of which involves narrowing down my list of affordable destinations -- in the process of searching for some possible deals I was drawn to the idea of using Groupon (GRPN).
I mean why not? My wife swears by it. In fact, for Father's Day she surprised me with a local auto-detailing voucher. The service came to my home to clean my vehicle and did a phenomenal job! When it was all done, my car looked brand new. The detailer asked if I would recommend them to a family and friend and I said absolutely. However, I wouldn't dare recommend Groupon's stock -- at least not to friend.
Take a look at the graph below. After all, since we are talking about vacations, the chart tells me that I should be skiing down a slope in Colorado instead of climbing mountains in West Virginia. While both are beautiful states my portfolio favors mountain climbing.
The stock has been in a freefall ever since reaching its six-month high in February of $25.84. Since then it has lost 67% after closing on Tuesday at a price of $8.31 -- with no meaningful signs of slowing down. It seems that investors are beginning to realize that while Groupon is indeed a nice concept, it's just not a sustainable business.
As it seems to be making a news 52-week low in each session, the only question is, how much time does it have left? Will it make it to another year? As with Facebook (FB) before it, Groupon really had no discernible business to suggest that it was worthy of its valuation - yet it nonetheless reached as high as $31 a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV