The NCE status of AMR101 is controversial because the drug is very similar to Lovaza, another prescription fish-oil pill already approved and sold by GlaxoSmithKline (GSK). The active ingredients in both AMR101 and Lovaza are omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA. AMR101 contains more EPA and less DHA than Lovaza, but whether that's enough to consider AMR101 a new chemical entity is up for debate and a matter that FDA will decide.
Which brings us back to the June 22 meeting. According to the FDA's web site, FDA officials in attendance included Chief Counsel Elizabeth Dickinson and her top assistant counsel Mustafu Unlu. Denise Esposito, FDA's deputy director for policy and Keith Webber, deputy director in the FDA's Office of Pharmaceutical Science, were also present, as were several other agency lawyers.
Amarin's representatives at the meeting included the company's top lawyer Joseph Kennedy, Steve Ketchum, president of research and development, Paresh Soni, senior vice president, head of development, and Barbara Kurys, senior director for intellectual property management. Attorneys from Amarin's outside law firms were also involved in the meeting.
Asked to comment on what was discussed at the June 22 meeting, company spokesperson David Schull responded, "Amarin is unable to comment because the company is operating in a quiet period in advance of its PDUFA date for AMR 101."
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Adam Feuerstein. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/adamfeuerstein. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com. Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV