McDonald's has been an Olympic sponsor for more than 35 years, but the Brits are taking this year's sponsorship with a big side of hate. They're already uncomfortable with commercials airing there featuring Olympic happy meals that give kids mini pedometers under the guise of "helping" Olympic mascots get to the games. There's no word if the British children's route to the Olympic venues includes a quick stop at the drive-thru window for a sack of burgers and a flagon of milkshake, but British doctors are already calling the supersized McDonald's proposed for the athlete's village a billboard for obesity. McDonald's Olympic ads have yet to air in the U.S. -- where there's a much higher tolerance for the pairing of high-impact athletics with high-fat foods -- but so far London isn't down with the clown.
In case you were wondering, they're still making watches. Yes, the ones with the hands. You know who knows this? Boomers, who've seemingly never stopped wearing them and will leave watches to their heirs in the same volumes that the World War II generation left behind Hummel figurines. It's that generation that's going to love Omega's commercial featuring well-toned athletes, precision watches and the ultimate Boomer sports anthem: The Rolling Stones' Start Me Up off their 1981 album Tattoo You. Mick is still cool enough to shrug off Moves Like Jagger and play with Arcade Fire and Foo Fighters, but his songs have been reduced to selling timepieces that are far less functional than they were when they first started timing Olympic events 80 years ago.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV