MORRISVILLE, N.C., July 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- On June 15, 2012, Alliance One International, Inc. (NYSE: AOI) received a Golden Leaf Award in the Most Impressive Public Service Initiative sector at the Global Tobacco Networking Forum in Antwerp, Belgium, which was sponsored by Tobacco Reporter magazine and Indonesian cigarette paper manufacturer PT Bukit Muria Jaya (BMJ). Alliance One received the award for its efforts following Hurricane Irene to provide an outlet for tobaccos produced by U.S. flue-cured growers initially contracted to but subsequently released by United States Growers Direct.
Mark W. Kehaya, Chairman of the Board of Directors and Interim Chief Executive Officer, said, "It's a real honor to receive the Golden Leaf Award. Since North Carolina is our home, we were pleased to have been able to respond rapidly, as many of the farmers affected by the hurricane were in our own region. We remain committed to worldwide farmer sustainability and to the North American market."
Roy Harrington, president of RC Commodities, Inc., a grower representative said, "Alliance One's support prevented what could have been a disastrous outcome for numerous farmers and their families. This shows the company's devotion to the U.S. farmer, which reinforces and secures their sustainability in the U.S. tobacco market."
J. Pieter Sikkel, Alliance One's President, commented, "As the largest processor of North American tobaccos, we remain proudly committed to the U.S. farmer and are honored to receive this prestigious award."Alliance One International is a leading independent leaf tobacco merchant serving the world's cigarette manufacturers. For more information on Alliance One, visit the Company's website at www.aointl.com. SOURCE Alliance One International, Inc.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV