MILLBURN, N.J. (Stockpickr) -- I like companies with strong cash flow. I like companies that pay above-market dividends. I like companies with strong balance sheets. I like companies that generate cash.
Recognizing this, I decided to try to create a portfolio of stocks that combines these factors.
I used two criteria in my analysis:1. Dividend Payout Ratio: This represents the amount of earnings that are paid out in the form of dividends to shareholders. We care about this because it shows that the company is focused on returning capital to shareholders. This is important if you subscribe to the dividend discount model of stock valuation. 2. Debt to Market Capitalization: This is a measure of leverage as well as a measure of the strength of the balance sheet. I prefer that a company uses its operational cash flow rather than debt to pay dividends to shareholders. Hence, I sought out companies with low debt-to-market-capitalization ratios. Here are six stocks that received high marks in these categories.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV