The shares trade for 0.9 times their reported March 31 tangible book value of $11.22, and for 15 times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of 65 cents. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is 53 cents.
Astoria during the first quarter cut its quarterly dividend to four cents from 13 cents, as the company suffered year-over-year declines in net interest income and margin. Based on the current payout the shares have a dividend yield of 1.60%.
The company will report its second-quarter results on July 18, with analysts expecting a 13-cent profit, following EPS of 11 cents the previous quarter and 18 cents a year earlier.The company's first-quarter net interest margin was a relatively narrow 2.20%, unchanged from the fourth quarter, but declining from 2.40% during the first quarter of 2011. Alexopoulos rates Astoria "Underweight," and on Tuesday called the company one of his "top shorts," and said he expects the second-quarter net interest margin to contract by two basis points to 2.18%, and with the dividend cut, expects the company's tangible common equity ratio "to improve modestly to ~6.5%." Alexopoulos expects Astoria to earn 46 cents a share this year, followed by 2013 EPS of 52 cents. The analyst said on Tuesday that "even looking all the way to 2016,
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV