The shares trade for 1.1 times tangible book value, according to Worldscope data provided by Thomson Reuters, and for 15 times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of 95 cents. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is 84 cents.
BancorpSouth is expected to report its second-quarter results on July 24, with the consensus estimate among analysts being a 20-cent profit, following EPS of 25 cents the first quarter, and 15 cents a year earlier.
Alexopoulos rates BancorpSouth "Underweight," with a price target of $13, and on Tuesday called the company one of his "top shorts," saying that "while credit challenges remain an overhang, earning the cost of capital is the next challenge" and that "the potential pipeline for problem assets remains sticky," as "special mention loans increased 18% or $22 million" during the first quarter.The analyst added that "With +$1 billion CDs maturing in the coming quarters, the company has further room to lower its deposit costs, which now stand at 84 bps. However, in the absence of loan growth,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV