The shares trade for 1.1 times tangible book value, according to Worldscope data provided by Thomson Reuters, and for 15 times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of 95 cents. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is 84 cents.
BancorpSouth is expected to report its second-quarter results on July 24, with the consensus estimate among analysts being a 20-cent profit, following EPS of 25 cents the first quarter, and 15 cents a year earlier.
Alexopoulos rates BancorpSouth "Underweight," with a price target of $13, and on Tuesday called the company one of his "top shorts," saying that "while credit challenges remain an overhang, earning the cost of capital is the next challenge" and that "the potential pipeline for problem assets remains sticky," as "special mention loans increased 18% or $22 million" during the first quarter.The analyst added that "With +$1 billion CDs maturing in the coming quarters, the company has further room to lower its deposit costs, which now stand at 84 bps. However, in the absence of loan growth,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV