RIM Shareholder Meeting: Live Blog Recap
The BlackBerry maker, which recently reported a worse-than-expected first-quarter loss is certainly on the ropes, pummeled by delayed product launches and intense competition from the likes of Apple (AAPL) and Google's (GOOG) Android operating system.
Speaking during the shareholder meeting, Barbara Stymiest, chair of RIM's board, acknowledged the investor concerns that have seen the company's stock plunge almost 50% this year."The company's performance this year has not met expectations," she said. "We understand that shareholders are frustrated." RIM CEO Thorsten Heins was also on the call, describing the delayed BlackBerry 10 launch as a top priority. "It's simply the integration challenge that we face," he said, alluding to the forthcoming BlackBerry 10 launch in the first quarter of 2013. "I will not deliver a product or a platform to market that does not meet the needs of our customers." The CEO also acknowledged that the next several quarters will be challenging for RIM, but promised to build on the company's 78 million-strong subscriber base. Shares of RIM closed down 4.95% at $7.29 on Tuesday. Read on for more details from RIM's annual general meeting of shareholders. --Written by James Rogers, Chris Ciaccia and Nathalie Pierrepont in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV