The no. 2 chip maker now expects its revenue to decrease 11% sequentially. Previously, AMD forecast a 3% increase, plus or minus 3%, sequentially.
"The lower preliminary revenue results are primarily due to business conditions that materialized late in the second quarter, specifically softer-than-expected channel sales in China and Europe as well as a weaker consumer buying environment impacting the company's Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) business," explained AMD, in a statement.
Investors balked at the slashed guidance, pushing AMD's shares down 4.8% to $5.35 in extended trading. AMD's shares closed down 2.2% during Monday's trading.AMD, which is slated to report its second-quarter results after market close on July 19, expects its second-quarter gross margin to be approximately in line with its prior guidance. Speaking during AMD's first-quarter conference call, CFO Thomas Seifert said that he expects the company's gross margin to be flat to slightly up in the second quarter. During the first quarter, AMD reported revenue of $1.59 billion and a non-GAAP gross margin of 46%. The Sunnyvale, Calif.-based firm comfortably beat analysts' estimates in its first-quarter results, but was recently downgraded by Sterne Agee, which pointed to the slowing PC market. Rival Intel (INTC) was also busy on Monday, announcing plans to take a 15%, stake in ASML Holding N.V. (ASML) as part of a $4.1 billion deal which also includes research funding for the Dutch semiconductor specialist. -- Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV