So there are two remaining categories of Motorola businesses:
3. Stuff that's not obvious but also not implausible for Google to integrate/keep. This includes the set-top box business. Historically, this has not been a Google type of business. But you could conceive of a scenario where it could be. Hey, Google TV is one step in this direction. In other words, Google could go in either direction. The main competitors in this business are Cisco (CSCO) and U.K.-based Pace Micro.
4. Stuff that Google most likely doesn't want and shouldn't. This includes the infrastructure equipment businesses, primarily geared to cable TV operators. This is fiber-optic distribution gear that you hang on poles connecting every Joe Six Pack in the U.S. and beyond. This type of business is a culture shock for Google.
You can easily envision Google divesting some of Motorola's businesses.But the obvious question Google must answer is whether it integrates the Motorola Android business or gets rid of it. The current official answer of keeping it "separate" makes no sense at all. Google isn't a passive investment fund. Something's gotta give. At the time of submitting this article, the author was long AAPL and GOOG, and short MSFT. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV