Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster believes that Apple could sell anywhere between 4 million and 6 million units of its rumored iPad Mini in the holiday quarter. That would be approximately 20% of the total iPad sales in the quarter, Munster noted.
The analyst believes the benefits of a smaller iPad could take away two of the biggest selling points of Google's (GOOG) Android-based tablets: size and price. "A 7"-8" device at $299 effectively eliminates those advantages for Android and forces Android devices to compete more on software, where we believe iOS still holds a meaningful advantage," Munster wrote in his report. "We remain confident that Apple will maintain and potentially increase its tablet market share over the next four years."
Reports of an iPad Mini picked up steam last week when both The Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg published articles about such a device. Topeka Capital Markets analyst Brian White added credence to the articles, by mentioning it heavily in a research note.There's always the issue of self cannibalization, though. Apple has experienced this before, with iPad sales cutting into Mac sales, but never with the same form-factor. Munster said iPad Mini sales could cannibalize iPad sales by 10%, but that the devices would take 30% of total Android tablet sales in the quarter. White estimates the iPad Mini could cannibalize iPad sales by 10% to 20%. Shares of Apple moved higher in Monday trading, up 0.97% to $611.78. Interested in more on Apple? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV