Many U.S. consumers have spent a lot of time this summer thinking about how to properly sear a steak on their grills. But with temperatures soaring into the triple digits, a different kind of “SEER” is catching their attention – the SEER rating on their air conditioners. SEER stands for Seasonal Energy Efficiency Rating, and the higher the number, the more efficient the air conditioner, which translates into monthly energy savings.
According to Emerson Climate Technologies, a global business of Emerson (NYSE: EMR), an air conditioner’s SEER rating can not only result in increased comfort but also take some of the heat off consumer wallets. In fact, a homeowner with a 16 SEER unit can save more than $2,000 in operating costs vs. the required minimum 13 SEER system.
This year has been the hottest so far in U.S. history, according to the National Climatic Data Center, and many air conditioners already are working overtime. Some units just won’t be able to take the heat. In fact, approximately 4 million air conditioners are replaced each year, leaving consumers with many choices in terms of a replacement unit. Choosing ones with high SEER ratings can be the coolest choice.
“A high-efficiency air conditioner will not only save money over the life of the unit, but will also provide increased comfort and years of reliable operation,” said Ed Purvis, president of Emerson Climate Technologies, a business of Emerson (NYSE: EMR). “Because most homeowners will be faced with purchasing a new air conditioner only once or twice in their lifetimes, knowing what’s available and what’s required through the latest regulations can be a daunting task. Talking with a reputable contractor can help consumers make smart, well-informed decisions.”In addition to speaking with a contractor, Purvis also offers the following three tips for staying cool and saving money this summer:
- Make sure your outside unit is free of debris. Restricted airflow from leaves or grass clippings can cause the compressor to work harder, costing you more money.
- Change the air filter regularly. A dirty air filter causes the system to work harder and therefore less efficiently.
- Invest in a programmable thermostat – and use it. More than 65 percent of homeowners with programmable thermostats fail to set them, costing hundreds of dollars in savings each year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV