MURRAY HILL, N.J., July 9, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Bell Labs, the research arm of Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) will celebrate one of its great historical achievements with the 50 th anniversary of the launch of Telstar I, the world's first active communications satellite. The launch on July 10, 1962, in partnership with NASA, ushered in the era of modern communications including real-time global telephone service, data communications and TV broadcasting.
Fifty years later, Bell Labs researchers continue to create breakthrough innovations that help to define a world where communication between people and now between machines is vastly more efficient, secure and simple. Bell Labs' experts also continue to answer big, fundamental questions and make predictions in areas such as quantum computing, optical networks, cloud computing, wireless and sensory networking.
Jeong Kim, President of Bell Labs said: "With Telstar and its successors, the world was made a smaller place, as billions of people around the world had instant access to news, sports and entertainment. The phrase ' live via satellite' became part of the common vernacular. At the time, few people would have believed that 50 years later you could actually talk to your house or car, or predicted that children would play video games with other children 10,000 miles away."
"Today, as we celebrate the enormous achievement that Telstar represented, Bell Labs researchers are laying the foundation for communications and collaboration for the next 50 years," Kim added.Visualizing what's next in communications In celebration of this historic moment, Marcus Weldon, Chief Technology Officer of Alcatel-Lucent has offered some predictions on the future of communications as well as some broader topics in society in a blog published today. Visitors to the blog can add their comments, or offer their own predictions on Twitter using the hashtag #Telstar50. Also, with a nod to the past and an eye firmly on the future, Bell Labs will host a Telstar celebration on July 10 at 10:00 a.m., in the Murray Hill campus Arnold Auditorium. The event is open to interested media, Bell Labs alumni and Alcatel-Lucent employees, with an agenda includes:
- Walter Brown , original member of the Bell Labs Telstar I team who led semiconductor Physics research, and currently an adjunct professor of Materials Science and Engineering at Lehigh University in Bethlehem, PA.
- Lou Lanzerotti , former Bell Labs geophysicist and current distinguished research professor of Physics in the Center for Solar-Terrestrial Research at the New Jersey Institute of Technology
- Tony Tyson , former Bell Labs physicist, currently Physics professor and director of the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope project at UC Davis.
- Tod Sizer , lead inventor of Alcatel-Lucent's breakthrough wireless technology lightRadio™ which cuts power consumption and operating costs on wireless networks while delivering lightning fast Internet access.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV