- Shares of JPMorgan Chase (JPM - Get Report) closed at $33.90, returning 4% year-to-date, following a 20% decline during 2011. The shares trade just below their reported March 31 tangible book value of $34.91, and for six times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $5.30. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is $4.30. The company will kick-off bank earnings season before the market opens on Friday, with analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expecting a 79-cent profit, declining from EPS of $1.31 the previous quarter and $1.27 a year earlier. Investors of course continue to wonder just how much in second quarter trading losses the company will report, after CEO James Dimon disclosed a hedge trading loss by its Chief investment Office (CIO) estimated at "slightly more than $2 billion," on May 10. JPMorgan's operating ROA has ranged between 0.68% and 1.06% over the past five quarters.
- Shares of Bank of America (BAC - Get Report) closed at $7.66 Friday, returning 38% year-to-date, after dropping 58% during 2011. The shares trade for 0.6 times their reported March 31 tangible book value of $12.87, and for eight times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of 97 cents. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is 56 cents. Bank of America will report its second-quarter results on July 18, with analysts expecting earnings of 15cents a share, compared to a three-cent profit during the first quarter, and a net loss of 90 cents a share in the second quarter of 2011, when the company entered into an $8.5 billion mortgage putback settlement with private investors. Bank of America's operating ROA over the past five quarters has ranged from a negative 1.51% to a positive return of 1.08%.
- Shares of Citigroup (C - Get Report) closed at $26.36 Friday, for a flat year-to-date return, following last year's 44% decline. The shares trade for just over half their reported March 31 tangible book value of $50.90, and for less than six times the consensus 2013 earnings estimate of $4.56. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is $3.95. Citi will report its second-quarter results on July 20, with analysts expecting earnings of 92 cents a share. The consensus EPS estimate for all of 2012 is $4.01. The company's operating ROA has ranged between 0.20% and 0.67% over the past five quarters.
Buy Wells Fargo: Jefferies
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.