Ubiquiti Networks, Inc. (Nasdaq: UBNT), a next-generation communications technology company, announced a major legal victory when a federal judge at the U.S. federal court for the Northern District of California last week granted a preliminary injunction enjoining Kozumi USA Corp. and its owner Shao Wei (William) Hsu from:
- using in any manner any registered trademark owned by Ubiquiti, the UBIQUITI, UBIQUITI NETWORKS, and Ubiquiti logo mark, or any name or mark that wholly incorporates or is confusingly similar to these trademarks;
- moving, destroying, or otherwise disposing of any items confusingly or deceptively similar to Ubiquiti’s products and that bear any of Ubiquiti’s trademarks;
- moving, destroying, or otherwise disposing of any records or documents containing information related to the manufacturing, distributing, delivering, shipping, importing, exporting, marketing, promoting, selling, or otherwise offering for sale of items that bear any of Ubiquiti’s trademarks; and
- assisting, aiding, or abetting any other person or business entity in engaging in or performing any of the above activities.
The court’s order arises out of a lawsuit that Ubiquiti filed with the federal court charging that Hsu had masterminded an international counterfeiting scheme and had counterfeit products manufactured by Hoky Technology in China. The Chinese authorities had raided Hoky’s factory and seized evidence of Hsu’s counterfeiting operation.
Ubiquiti also charged that Hsu had engaged in intellectual property theft, illegal manufacturing and sale of counterfeit Ubiquiti Networks products, fraudulent registration of Ubiquiti trademarks overseas and attempted extortion. The complaint said Hsu, along with the owner of a counterfeit factory in China, spread malicious and false rumors about Ubiquiti in an attempt to obstruct Ubiquiti’s brand protection efforts.
The preliminary injunction is a continuation of a temporary restraining order that the federal court issued earlier. The court denied defendants’ request to modify the terms of such temporary restraining order. Moreover, the court ordered that all of defendants’ real estate assets be frozen and cannot be sold or disposed of without permission from Ubiquiti or the court. In addition, the court granted Ubiquiti’s request to seek expedited discovery regarding the source of certain defamatory rumors against Ubiquiti.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV