Second, it gives the Federal Open Market Committee and Ben Bernanke just what they need to do, and like Mighty Mouse (are you old enough to remember the cartoon series?) they'll yell, "Here I come to save the day!"
But when will the Fed's rescue operation begin? Every analyst I've spoken to or read about seems to think it won't happen until September for political reasons.
By the way, I love another quote from the CNBC article that gives us a metaphor of what the worldwide financial malaise could be likened.
"Credit Suisse economist Jonathan Basile had another description: 'It's like trying to sprint through molasses. It's great for conditioning but it's hard as hell,' he said. Like an athlete, 'sometimes when the economy runs too slow, it feels like it hurts.'"Basile apparently "...expects the Fed to jump in and help out the economy, announcing another round of quantitative easing at its Sept. 13 meeting." "They tend to do their job, and their job in their eyes is to do what they need to do for the broader economy," he said. "The Bernanke Fed is not one to sit on its hands." My best educated guess is that Bernanke will wait until the September FOMC meeting, unless he replays the big QE2 announcement he made in 2010. That's when he surprised everyone (during a mid-term congressional election year) and made the big announcement at the
Either way, sooner or later an announcement will be made. The more unexpectedly positive and surprising it is, the more ebullient the upside market reaction will be.
Playing the RallySo if you want to participate in that jubilant rally, prepare by looking at companies such as Freeport McMoRan Copper and Gold (FCX) and Goldcorp (GG).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV