NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The hardest time, emotionally speaking, to buy even the best-of-breed companies' stocks is when fear levels are rising and rational logic is being thrown out the window.
That's the scenario right now in the financial markets of the world, and the "scared-e-cat" contagion has taken hold again on Wall Street U.S.A.
Yes, the jobs report on Friday was as bad if not worse than many of us were anticipating. For the third month in a row the number of new jobs created was well below the 100,000 level.
For June it was around 80,000 jobs, and that was after May's disappointing 77,000 payrolls and April's even scarier 68,000 number, making the second quarter the worst quarter for jobs in two years.Right now the most powerful voices in the world of financial media are coming out with headlines and stories that make investors as nervous as a long-tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs. A good example of this is a
"The U.S. economy has been unable to achieve escape velocity but the amount of monetary and fiscal stimulus in the system has proven adequate enough to keep it going at a 1% to 2% GDP pace. "That is slow by historic recovery standards...it feels like a 'zomb'-economy," said Lyngen. "People are increasingly worried about a double dip," he said. Ah yes, that's the perfect storm for the kind of stock market mayhem needed to do two things. One, it allows the already beaten-down bargains to fall to even more ridiculously low price levels.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV