NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- State regulators late Friday afternoon closed Montgomery Bank & Trust of Ailey, Ga., bringing this year's total number of bank failures to 32.
After Montgomery Bank & Trust had $173.6 million in total assets and $164.4 million in deposits when it failed. The Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. was appointed receiver and sold the failed institution's retail deposits to Ameris Bank of Moultrie, Ga., which is a subsidiary of Ameris Bancorp (ABCB).
Customers with deposit accounts opened through brokers will need to contact their brokers for more information, since the FDIC pays brokers directly.Ameris Bank also agreed to purchase roughly $12.4 million of the failed bank's assets, with the FDIC retaining the rest for later disposition. The failed bank's two offices were set to reopen Monday as branches of Ameris Bank. The FDIC estimated that the cost of Montgomery Bank & Trust's failure to the deposit insurance fund would be $75.2 million. Montgomery Bank & Trust was the sixth Georgia institution to fail this year. There were 23 bank failures in Georgia during 2011. Georgia leads all states with 79 bank failures since the beginning of 2008, followed by Florida, with 62 bank closures, Illinois, with 51, and California, with 39 bank and thrift failures. Interested in more on Ameris Bancorp? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV