Prepaid Card Popularity Merits Caution From Consumers
When you use a prepaid card, you are using your own money that you have already put on the card. Using a credit card is receiving a loan to make a purchase.
Credit checks are not used and your credit score does not matter. You will have to provide name, address, date of birth, Social Security number or another identification number. Non-citizens may also get a prepaid card if they have an identification number.
Your employer can deposit your paycheck directly to your prepaid card and you can also receive government payments on your card. You can buy reload packs at many retailers like Wal-Mart and CVS, then enter the reload value online and the funds are immediately available.
You can use your prepaid card to withdraw cash at ATMs but the fees can add up if the ATM is out of your network. You will also have to pay any fees that the ATM owner charges.
If you use your prepaid card to pay for gas at the pump, rent a car, or pay for a motel room the merchant may put a hold on your account for the amount of the transaction plus up to 20% to make sure there are sufficient funds to cover the purchase plus tips and other expenses. The hold is removed after payment is received. It can take from 15 days to 90 days for the hold to be removed. During the hold period, you will not have access to the preauthorized amount.
There may be a 3% fee for foreign transactions (just like a standard credit card) and fees for ATM withdrawals.
--By Bill Hardekopf
Hardekopf is CEO of LowCards.com, which compares and rates more than 1,000 credit cards. He is the co-author of "The Credit Card Guidebook."
Follow him on Twitter: www.twitter.com/lowcards
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV