The borrower would be offered a refinancing, with possible assistance from the Federal Housing Administration, meaning that the borrower might only need 2.5% equity in the home, so that the refinanced balance could be more than the amount that the investor was paid.
Mortgage Resolution Partners is a private firm led by Graham Williams, a former director of residential lending at Bank of America. The company did not respond to a request for comment.
Wirt says that San Bernardino County "has not determined whether or not it would be a good idea" to move forward with the novel use of eminent domain being explored by the Joint Powers Authority, but also says "our economy is in crisis mode and the sooner we can do something to help people, the better, as lot of people trapped in underwater mortgages could eventually face foreclosure."
Mayer says that in order for this new use of eminent domain to pass muster, the cities and the county "have to show that the eminent domain proceeding is benefiting the public as a whole, rather than just individual property holders. Absent that, it will be deemed unconstitutional."Hobbs calls the specter of mortgage modifications foisted upon MBS investors through the use of eminent domain "disturbing, to say the least," and while the California Mortgage Bankers Association is "not exactly sure what the program is going to look like," the program "could chill investor activity in certain territories." Mark Dowling, CEO of the Inland Valleys Association of Realtors says his organization is also "against the use of eminent domain to modify mortgages." Regarding the benefits to the public at large from keeping homes from becoming vacant and potentially run down, he says the municipalities "have code enforcement policies in place that would already oversee the maintenance." "Homeownership
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV