NEW YORK ( MainStreet) -- The family car doesn't get a summer vacation.
It doesn't have to take the kids to school, soccer practice, rehearsals or to relatives' houses for the holidays, but in many ways summer can be the most punishing season for the beloved family vehicle. The heat makes the interior feel twice as small while the road trips can get considerably longer. The comfort, fuel economy and reliability are tested every day a family's on vacation. One failure or slip-up and the family car is relegated to the mechanic while its charges drive off in a loaner or, worse, a rental.
Vehicle ratings services such as Edmunds and Kelley Blue Book know just how crucial the lazy days of summer can be for the family car, which is why both recently compiled lists of the vehicles they believe are the best available to American families today. We took a look at those lists and compiled the 10 best offerings from each. The following are the vehicles most likely to turn a chorus of "are we there yet" into a ride nobody's in any rush to end:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV