Is the Apartment Rental Market Overheating?
By Diana Olick, CNBC Real Estate Reporter
NEW YORK (CNBC) --The still faltering housing recovery, tight credit, lackluster employment growth and overall weak consumer confidence has kept demand for apartments high, despite historic housing affordability.
That, plus a shortage of supply, means rents are going higher, increasing at their fastest pace since the fall of 2007, according to Reis Inc., which expects rent growth to accelerate even more as vacancies tighten.
How tight are supplies? Less than five percent of the national apartment supply was vacant this past spring, according to Reis. That's only the third time that's happened in over thirty years."The target renter demographic (younger Americans) has seen what's happened in home buying, and the ease of just writing a monthly check is compelling," says analyst Alexander Goldfarb at Sandler O'Neill.
More from CNBC
Apple Is Easily a $700 or $750 Stock: Strategist
Stress and Jobs: A Solution to Both
Best Places to Build Your High-End Vacation Home
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV