Behind the Scenes at a Small Biz: June Profits From Thin Air
The run on helium added to another solid month for Card$mart, which celebrated its 1-year anniversary under the new ownership. Norman said sales for the month once again exceeded expectations. But she acknowledges that the solid sales the store has seen in the spring and first third of the summer makes her nervous for the slower months of July and August. (Norman still wouldn't share whether the company had turned a profit or loss in its first year, however she had said earlier in the spring that the partners no longer needed to invest their own money into the store's ongoing needs.)
Card$mart licenses its name from Designer Greetings, which is also the vendor of the "50% off" line of cards the store sells. Yet the partners are not franchisees in the sense that they do not pay franchise fees or royalties to Designer Greetings. Norman and Rothberg are required to carry the Designer Greetings 50%-off card line, but can also sell other items and cards of their choice. Designer Greetings has declined to disclose how many independent retailers license the Card$mart name.
Norman plans to turn to social media for help during the summer sales doldroms, admitting that the store's Facebook page is lacking. Between social media and email campaigns, as well as a possible loyalty card, she hopes to entice customers to continue shopping.
The store has already tried traditional coupon advertising which didn't pan out."I think that people cut out coupons to go the pizza place
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV