BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- Marlie Y. kicks off this week's Biotech Stock Mailbag: "Can you talk about the stocks that most interest you today and that may have big moves in the coming months? Thank you for your work and response to this question."
Clinical trial results send biotech stocks soaring (or sinking) more than FDA drug approvals, so keep the following stocks on your radar screen -- all of which should have data from important clinical trials released in the third quarter.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals (VRTX) (proof of concept results from its hepatitis C "nucs"); Amicus Therapeutics (FOLD) (migalast in Fabry disease); Acadia Pharmaceuticals (ACAD) (pimavanserin in Parkinson's disease psychosis); and Zalicus (ZLCS) (Synavive AR in rheumatoid arthritis.)
I'd say the most highly anticipated clinical data release remaining this year is from Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), Pfizer (PFE) and Elan (ELN) -- the bapineuzumab phase III studies in Alzheimer's disease.LIR asks, "Which stock gets bought first, Arena Pharmaceuticals (ARNA) or Amarin (AMRN)?" If forced to choose, I'll vote Amarin, mainly because selling the company is widely known to be an exit strategy sought by management. It helps that Amarin's prescription fish-oil pill AMR101 is highly effective and has blockbuster potential -- assuming approval on July 26, an eventual expanded label and long-term market exclusivity. All three of those goals are attainable. What worries me about making this prediction? An Amarin takeout now, or soon after AMR101's approval, would buck precedent. Most bio-pharma M&A occurs early in a drug's clinical development or well after approval, history shows. A buyout premium of 50% to 100% today implies an Amarin price of $23 to $30 per share, which is a lot to swallow without more definitive proof that AMR101 is the billion dollar-plus drug it's built up to be.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV