The iPad Mini speculation is getting stronger by the day, with multiple news outlets citing the smaller tablet is coming this year. It would be priced between $249 and $299, and would be about 7 inches in size, much smaller than the 9.7-inch iPad.
There's been much skepticism about whether Apple would ever make a 7-inch tablet, given that late CEO Steve Jobs trashed the concept. On a 2010 earnings call, Jobs said, "One naturally thinks that a 7-inch screen would offer 70% of the benefits of a 10-inch screen. Unfortunately, this is far from the truth. ... The reason we [won't] make a 7-inch tablet isn't because we don't want to hit [a lower] price point, it's because we think the screen is too small to express the software."
Apple has filed a patent for wearable glasses, similar to Google's (GOOG) Project Glass. Patent No. 8,212,859 encompasses "a head-mounted display apparatus for a user," very similar to what Google showed off last month at its I/O Developer Conference. Apple first applied for the patent on Oct. 13, 2006, and received it July, 3, 2012.
The final Apple news item of the day is that plenty of apps have been crashing due to an issue with the App Store. Somehow, app files are being corrupted before being made available to the public, and it is causing apps to crash repeatedly. Developer Marco Arment first noticed the problem with his app Instapaper. Shares of Apple are higher in Thursday's trading session, up 2.1% to $612.17. Interested in more on Apple? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV