LIVONIA, Mich., July 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- TRW Automotive Holdings Corp. (NYSE: TRW), the global leader in automotive safety systems, has developed a new, active seat belt technology which assists the driver to grasp the belt during the buckling up process. The system, known as TRW's active seat belt presenter, can help to support elderly or less mobile passengers, as well as act as a reminder to fasten the seat belt upon entering the vehicle.
Uwe Class, senior engineering manager, global active restraint systems at TRW commented: "Current systems are today fit into coupes and convertibles where the seat belt is more difficult to reach due to the B pillar being considerably further back than in other vehicles. The technology is currently not available for 4 and 5 door vehicles, but this is an area that TRW is exploring.
"Widely available statistics indicate an aging population globally and we believe that comfort functions such as our seat belt presenter are becoming increasingly important for this demographic. And as a safety company, we are proponents of occupants being reminded to buckle up."TRW's new seatbelt presenter is mounted directly on the height adjuster within the vehicle's B pillar. When the occupant is seated, the presenter – a small arm which rests within the B pillar – brings the belt forward to an 'easier to reach' position. As soon as the occupant takes the belt, the arm simply reverts to its original park position. The presenter can be easily integrated into the B pillar with no modifications required other than to the trim. Class continued: "The seat belt presenter can bring the belt forward up to 300 mm depending on the vehicle. We are working closely with individual vehicle manufacturer customers to identify the optimum position for occupants to retrieve the belt and minimize any twisting action required as part of the buckling process."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV