The benchmark 10-year Treasury was up 5/32, diluting the yield to 1.604%, while the dollar was rising 0.74%, according to the dollar index.
In corporate news, sales at many of the top U.S. retailers were hurt in June by worries about the economy and the still high unemployment rate.
Costco (COST), the warehouse retailer, said same-store sales in June rose 3%. Analysts were expecting same-store sales to rise 3.7%. Total sales for the month rose 6% to $9.18 billion from $8.69 billion a year earlier.
Shares ended Thursday down less than 0.5%.Kohl's (KSS), Target (TGT) and Macy's (M) also reported disappointing June same-store sales. Still, Kohl's shares were jumping nearly 7% and Macy's was up more than 3%. Target was down 0.7%. Walgreen (WAG) and Rite Aid (RAD) posted declines in same-store sales. However, Walgreen shares were up 1.3% while Rite Aid gave up more than 2%. Lower-priced retailers such as TJX (TJX) and Ross Stores (ROST) posted a jump in sales and raised their quarterly earnings outlooks as consumers shopped for bargains on designer apparel and home products. Ross Stores shares popped nearly 7%, and TJX climbed more than 3%. "There were also some same-store sales numbers that looked pretty good, and we have the retail sector
2012 Stock Predictions and Outlook
|Your one-stop shop for 2012 stock recommendations and market predictions.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV