NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- U.S. stocks fell Thursday as a troubling outlook for Europe's economy and signs of a slowdown in the U.S. spread pessimism.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average ended Thursday down 45.56 points, or 0.4%, to 12,898.26. The index traded in a tight range of 12,852 at its lowest and 12,961 at its highest.
Holding the Nasdaq up were shares of tech heavyweight Apple (AAPL), which ended the day up 1.8% to $609.94. There were reports that the company will soon be producing a new version of its iPad with a 7-inch screen.Gainers and laggards on the New York Stock Exchange and Nasdaq were about even with a slight lean toward the negative on thin trading volumes. In other tech news, Research In Motion (RIMM) advanced 4.6% to $7.69 amid short covering, and Netflix (NFLX) surged 13% to $81.72 after a BTIG analyst said the company's online audience surpassed that of cable and TV networks, and Netflix CEO Reed Hastings was upbeat about subscriber growth.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV