Caddyshack? Not When A PGA Tour Pro Is The Renter
PGA Tour golfer Stuart Appleby plays around 25 to 28 events a year and stays at numerous hotels. But about five times a season, he rents a private home. His wife and manager select where they all will stay by looking at photos online. "We returned to one home at the Masters for 10 years in a row," he said in an email.
The Applebys have four children, so the number of bedrooms and bathrooms and how close the home is to the golf course are all important details. "We like it to be within 10 minutes of the course," he wrote.
Hunter Haas, also a PGA Tour golfer, is on the road approximately 30 weeks a year. He usually stays in private rental homes or with friends for about six or eight weeks while on the road.
Haas' wife goes online and chooses the homes they will rent. "She's the picky one," he said in an email."At the U.S. Open, I stayed with friends of the family, and I enjoyed it," he wrote. "I asked a couple of (other) players about their hotel, and they hated the $50 parking fee in downtown San Francisco." The hassles of staying in hotels, going out to restaurants for dinner and dealing with traffic make staying in a private home an alluring option for golfers who often start their workday at 6 a.m. on tournament weeks. For the homeowner, the upsides are attractive and the downsides are limited. Read: Turn your home into a TV star Renting out your home for a short period of time can be profitable, says Bill Morse, an enrolled agent and CEO of Accounting & Tax Services of Delray Beach in Delray Beach, Fla. "The income is not taxable if the home is rented for fewer than 15 days during the year," Morse says.
How to rent your home during a golf tournamentFrank Sausedo, general manager of Suncastle Properties in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., helps homeowners rent their homes to golfers during The Players Championship, which is played at the TPC at Sawgrass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV